Thursday, April 19, 2012

Best Polearm for merc Infinity

Hi guys,

I know this topic has been beaten to death, so I'll make this really simple:

Assuming I already have the 3 base weapons, which is the best option (for 1. dmg output,2. re-sell value, and 3. general coolness):

1. Eth CV (feel free to ignore this option unless Im really mistaken)

2. Eth Thresher

3. Eth Giant Poleaxe

I havent been able to find someone who is certain wether range affects mercs. If it does, I guess the GPA wins. If not, will the higher avg dmg be better than the slightly faster, yet weaker Thresher?

How much more IAS is required to reach the last breakpoint using the Thresher or GPA?



Thanks!

Madness|||The speedier the weapon, the less damage it takes, so it depends on how much IAS you have on other gear. Litte IAS->fast weapon, much IAS->slow weapon, but also check the merc IAS breakpoints before spending two HRs on the wrong weapon . See here.|||Hmm...

Total dmg output difference probably won't be that notable no matter what base you pick.

When I made my Infinity I was looking what weapon is fastest so it can apply more crushing blow that is integrated part of Infinity runeword. That's why I picked Thresher. Probably you won't notice dmg difference on your merc when going with power builds like Infinity lite sorc or zon, and only few targets can survive long enough against such builds - Baal, Diablo and LI Lister. In those cases I think faster applying CB means more then raw dmg.

I read somewhere about range not affecting merc but I can't find source.|||I'm thinking of going with Treachery, but I'm afraid that the merc wont last until Fade kicks in.

My other option is Smoke/Duress. This means that the maximum IAS he will have will be either 20, 15(if i use something other than andy's with an IAS jewel), or 65 (if I use Treachery + andys).

15 IAS - Thresher comes out on top.

20 IAS - GPA

65 IAS - GPA

So what do you think? Is Treachery a good idea, or should I stick with defensive armors like smoke or duress?

Btw, I'm playing without Enigma, so I don't have the option of totally controlling where my merc is.|||I think that an Act II merc has range 2, no matter what weapon he uses. (I�ve had situations where my merc could not reach a river hydra in Act III but my character could hit it with a range 3 weapon.)



BTW, why aren�t Cryptic Axe and Giant Thresher included in the comparison?|||Quote:








BTW, why aren�t Cryptic Axe and Giant Thresher included in the comparison?




Because I dont have them |||Quote:








I'm thinking of going with Treachery, but I'm afraid that the merc wont last until Fade kicks in.

My other option is Smoke/Duress. This means that the maximum IAS he will have will be either 20, 15(if i use something other than andy's with an IAS jewel), or 65 (if I use Treachery + andys).

15 IAS - Thresher comes out on top.

20 IAS - GPA

65 IAS - GPA

So what do you think? Is Treachery a good idea, or should I stick with defensive armors like smoke or duress?




That depends on what you are going to do with your character. For keys I would use something with PDR, else Duress and Andy's+Ral orTal's helm+IAS jewel. At lower levels, Crown of Thieves, as fire res is more important than the other resists.|||My character is an all around PVM LF Javazon.

Up to now she was getting on just fine without a merc, doing many pit and key runs but I've decided to get rid of the valkyrie and allow her to do Chaos runs as well.

I dont see how any merc would survive in Nihalathak's room, would treachery really make him viable there?

I'm leaning towards Duress right now, which means GPA if I take andys or Thresher if I take Tal's helm (or CoT which is what he's wearing right now).|||If you wear Nature's Peace, Nihlathak cannot blow up your kills, only those of the merc and the exploded suicide minions. That will reduce his death rate a lot (and yours!), although tomb vipers would still be a problem because you don't have teleport.|||Yes I know, but with the Infinity theres a much better chance my merc will get a kill.

I guess that aspect won't be such a big issue because if the conviction hits the mob they wont last long enough.

I guess this thread has turned into a Threachery vs. Duress thread Since the type of polearm will be decided by that.

No comments:

Post a Comment