Saturday, April 14, 2012

damage fluxuates for seemingly no reason

[:1]I have a zeal/fanat Pally using grief PB, chains of honor AP and about 9x100 psn dmg charms.

I recently noticed that his zeal damage fluxuates wildly on the LCS between about 2250-2600 and 1200-1600. I can't figure out why it sometimes drops so low, but it seems to actually have gone down based on killing speed.

This appears to be unrelated to auras, equip, etc as those things do not change (playing solo with might merc). I do notice that if I enter a new game it will sometimes go back up to the high range, but after the first kill, it always seems to be dropped back down to the 1200-1600 range.

Anyone else experience this or have any idea what's going on?|||I'm pretty sure this thread isn't in the right location, but I think your poison charms are giving you a false read out on damage. You have 900+ damage that's given to you in the form of poison, but if you take off those charms you will most likely see that you are doing the "low" damage as you claim. Try it.|||Sorry if posted in the worng place...I'm new to the forum.

What you say makes perfect sense, but with the charms never leaving my inventory, it still changes randomly between the low and high range...It's puzzling why it seems to randomly shift between the two with no changes to auras, inventory or equipment. The only causality I can connect to it is that it seems to stay high until I make the first kill, then drops to the low range.|||Or, perhaps you just don't understand the minimum and maximum damage range. For instance, a white Berserker Axe does a minimum damage of 24 and a maximum damage of 71. On average you will do 48 damage. Basically, you will hit a Fallen sometimes for 24, sometimes 48, sometimes 71 damage, and anywhere in between.

Put your poison charms in your stash and tell me your damage and then put your poison charms back on your character and tell me your damage.

Edit - Since you are using Grief, venom will undoubtedly cast. Try a different weapon.|||This has nothing to do with average damage, or actual damage, just the minimum and maximum ranges displayed in the character screen, which I assume should stay constant unless equipment or auras change.

Here's an example. I stand two feet outside of town with my Character screen open. The Zeal damage is listed as 2250-2634.

I go kill a group of beasts, and before my eyes the damage in the character screen changes to 1252 - 1630. Leaving the character screen open, it will stay that way for a few minutes, then for some reason change back to the higher range.

During this time I change nothing on my character. If I remove all poison charms, then the lower range of numbers is displayed (as expected), but the lower number range is also displayed with them all in my inventory, (once I kill a monster that is); but then only for a few minutes and it goes back up to the 2000 range again.

It's almost as if the charms have to recharge or something...although I know this isn't the case.

Also, thepoison charms do not appear to be causal since this phenomenon is specific to grief, all other weapons equiped display a constant min and max damage range in the character screen, as you would expect them to.|||It's probably because of ctc venom from Grief. If it's triggered, it reduces the duration of the poison charms because venom has a duration of only 0.4 seconds and poison duration is the average of the durations of all sources, leading to less total damage from the charms. The character screen might not update as quickly and thus display the lower damage for a longer time.|||I posted a response a couple of hours ago but it seems it never went through...

In short, Venom (from Grief) cuts all poison damage short so that it only applies damage over Venom's 10 frame (0.4 secs) duration. The rate or DPS that the poison SCs contribute stays the same though.

For example: The poison SCs add up to 1500 damage over 5 secs (300 dps), which shows up as roughly 1500 added to min and max damage. When Venom is casted the duration drops to 10 frames, so you do 120 over 0.4 secs (still 300 dps) and this shows in the char screen. Venom's rate is added to this which more than makes up for the loss in PvM, although it's probably not great in PvP.

Grief's +dmg is not shown correctly in the LCS so you shouldn't be looking there anyway |||Thanks for the replies...That sounds like exactly what's happening with Grief/Venom versus PSN DMG charms... mystery (at least for me) solved. Thanks guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment